Ties broken for selection order in 2019 NBA Draft
NEW YORK — Seven ties among teams that finished the 2018-19 NBA regular season with identical records were broken Friday through random drawings to determine the order of selection for NBA Draft 2019 presented by State Farm.
The drawings were conducted by NBA Executive Vice President, Basketball Operations Kiki VanDeWeghe at the St. Regis Hotel in New York and broadcast live on NBA TV. The tiebreaker process was overseen by Darrington Hobson, a representative from the accounting firm of Ernst & Young.
The results of the drawings:
• The Cleveland Cavaliers (19-63) won a tiebreaker with the Phoenix Suns.
• The New Orleans Pelicans (33-49) won a tiebreaker with the Memphis Grizzlies and the Dallas Mavericks. Second and third place in the tiebreaker drawings went to Memphis and Dallas, respectively.
• The Charlotte Hornets (39-43) won a tiebreaker with the Miami Heat and the Sacramento Kings. Second and third place in the tiebreaker drawings went to Miami and Sacramento, respectively.
• The Orlando Magic (42-40) won a tiebreaker with the Brooklyn Nets.
• The Indiana Pacers (48-34) won a tiebreaker with the San Antonio Spurs and the LA Clippers. Second and third place in the tiebreaker drawings went to San Antonio and LA, respectively.
• The Oklahoma City Thunder (49-33) won a tiebreaker with the Boston Celtics.
• The Portland Trail Blazers (53-29) won a tiebreaker with the Houston Rockets.
NBA Draft Lottery 2019 presented by State Farm will be held on Tuesday, May 14 in Chicago. ESPN will air the results live at 8:30 p.m. ET. Under a new NBA Draft Lottery system that takes effect this year, the odds at the top of the lottery have been leveled so that the three teams with the lowest regular-season winning percentages each have a 14 percent chance of receiving the No. 1 overall pick. The odds for the remaining participants in the 14-team lottery reduce gradually after the top three.
NBA Draft 2019 presented by State Farm will take place on Thursday, June 20 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y. ESPN’s live coverage will begin at 7 p.m. ET. Tickets for NBA Draft 2019 presented by State Farm will go on sale at a later date.
Below is the order of selection for NBA Draft 2019 presented by State Farm and the odds for teams in NBA Draft Lottery 2019 presented by State Farm.
2019 FIRST ROUND DRAFT CHOICE ORDER
Drawings will be conducted at NBA Draft Lottery 2019 presented by State Farm to determine the first four picks in NBA Draft 2019 presented by State Farm. The remainder of the “lottery teams” will select in positions 5 through 14 in inverse order of their 2018-19 regular-season records. The teams entered in the NBA Draft Lottery and their odds of winning the lottery are as follows:
Ties broken for selection order in 2019 NBA Draft NEW YORK — Seven ties among teams that finished the 2018-19 NBA regular season with identical records were broken Friday through random
2020 NBA Draft Lottery Odds Are Set After Coin Flip Tiebreakers
The New Orleans Pelicans and Sacramento Kings both finished the regular season with the same exact record (28-36) and thus the tiebreaker of the flip of a coin was utilized to determine who would have the 12th and 13th best odds of moving into the top four.
On Monday, the coin was flipped and the Kings won the tiebreaker and will now have the 12th best odds of moving into the top four while the Pels will slip into 13th.
Now, why the results didn’t have anything to do with the NBA restart to me doesn’t make much sense as they were an extension of the NBA regular season correct?
Anyhow, according to Pelicans Beat Reporter Christian Clark, New Orleans odds have decreased but only slightly.
This means the Pelicans will enter Thursday’s lottery with a 5.7% chance of vaulting into the top 4 and a 1.2% chance of getting the No. 1 overall pick. https://t.co/GZrccZ4NAy
In addition, as you see from Shams Charania the tiebreaker between three Western Conference playoff teams has been decided as well Oklahoma City, Houston Rockets, and then the Utah Jazz.
Here’s a look at how the 2020 NBA Draft Lottery shakes out:
The rough conclusion to the season continued Monday for the Pelicans as the flip of a coin did not go their way.