Western States Endurance Run
Due to the cancellation of the 2020 race, the next lottery will be for the 2022 race and there will be a two-year qualifying window (Nov 2019 to Nov 2021). To qualify for the 2022 race lottery, you must run a qualifier off of either the 2021 or 2022 qualifying races lists below.
We limit the number of qualifying races to the largest trail 100 milers domestically, and the largest 100Ks that are also of significant difficulty. Worldwide, we’ve included the largest races but also have the goal of geographic diversity so runners from anywhere in the world have an opportunity to run a qualifying race.
While every effort is made to ensure that this information is current, complete and accurate, WS cannot be held responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your reliance thereon. WS reserves the right to determine all WS qualifiers. For more information on our criteria for choosing qualifying races click here.
We update the list of qualifying races once a year each September. We welcome corrections of factual errors at anytime. WS does not receive any payment or other benefit in exchange for placing an event on its list of Qualifying Races.
An event that is not on the lists cannot be used as a qualifier.
Please see our Entry Process page for more details.Western States Endurance Run Qualifying Races Due to the cancellation of the 2020 race, the next lottery will be for the 2022 race and there will be a two-year qualifying window (Nov 2019 to
Western States Endurance Run
The 2021 WSER will be held Saturday, June 26, to Sunday, June 27, 2021.
Due to the cancellation of the 2020 race, the entry procedure for the 2021 event is as follows.
- All 2020 entrants have been offered an entry spot in the 2021 race or refund of their entry fee. Decision must be made by June 26, 2020. Those who choose to rollover to 2021 will be required to re-register in the fall of 2020 but there won’t any additional fee.
- All 2020 wait listers will be put on the wait list for the 2021 race.
- Those 2020 entrants and wait listers who accept to enter the 2021 race will not be required to run another qualifier.
- We will not conduct a lottery for the 2021 race.
- There will be an abbreviated HOKA ONE ONE Golden Ticket race series for 2021.
The 2022 WSER will be held Saturday, June 25, to Sunday, June 26, 2022.
Entry procedure for the 2022 event is as follows.
- Each lottery applicant must be at least 18 years old on race day and complete a qualifying race in the allotted time during the two-year qualifying period (November 4, 2019 through November 6, 2021).
- Ticket counts for 2022 will be calculated based on 2020 lottery tickets (for example, an applicant with 8 tickets in the 2020 lottery would have 16 tickets in 2022).
- Lottery applications will open online in early November 2021. Exact dates to be determined. All lottery applications must be submitted online. The result of your qualifying run must be available online and selection of a valid qualifier will be part of the registration process. Your application will be rejected if you didn’t run a valid qualifier.
- Runners wishing to exercise their One-Time Lottery Bye must declare their intention during the regular lottery application period.
- Entrants for the 2022 Western States Endurance Run will be selected via lottery on Saturday, December 4, 2021.
- The Lottery results will be posted to the WS website in real-time.
- If you are selected via the Lottery, the entry fee to be determined + the online fee will immediately be charged to your credit card.
- Automatic entrants will be sent an invite to register before the lottery and must complete their application by December 1, 2021.
- We will also select 50 applicants in the lottery for an ordered general wait list.
- If any entrant withdraws from the race for any reason, the spot will be given to the next runner on the general wait list.
Exception: if a sponsor or aid station designated runner withdraws from the race, that sponsor or aid station will be allowed to designate another qualified runner (must have qualified and applied for the lottery). If no replacement is designated then the spot will be given to the next runner on the general wait list.
- Entrants who withdraw from the race by May 1 will receive a 75% refund of their entry fee (not including the on-line fee). Entrants who withdraw from the race from May 2 through June 9 will receive a 50% refund of their entry fee. Entrants who withdraw from June 10 through June 20 will receive a 25% refund. Entrants withdrawing after June 20 will not receive a refund.
- Runners who are not accepted in the Lottery (and otherwise not admitted as an entrant) will remain in the “hat” for the next year’s Lottery and for each consecutive year that they apply but fail to be selected. Unaccepted lottery applicants must re-qualify and re-register for the lottery each year. If you are selected for the waitlist but decline the opportunity to register you will maintain your ticket counts in the next lottery. If you are entered in the race at any point your ticket counts will start over at the next lottery.